Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 22:57:38 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:53:11 -0400

>> > Do you really search ChangeLog files for common words like color and
>> > flavor?
>>
>> As a part of a complex regexp, sometimes.
>
> A complex regexp can catch both flavor and flavour without any
> trouble.

If the user has the linguistic experience to be aware of the
availability of both spelling variants.  We should not take this for
granted.  If we have consistent spelling, the user will notice that he
does not find _anything_ rather than a random subset.  This will much
more likely cause him to try searching with a variant spelling.

If you get no hits, you are more likely to reconsider rather than if you
get just half the possible hits.

Really, this variation does not help anybody.  If somebody wants to
invest the time to clean this up and convert to reasonably conservative
American spelling (I don't care for "nite" instead of "night", for
example), then I don't think we should discourage it.