Re: Warning starting Emacs (Cygwin)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Warning starting Emacs (Cygwin)
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 22:54:21 +0300

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 12:30:29 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden, Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
>
> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   >
>   > > Unfortunately none of these ring a bell to me.  Yidong I assume this
>   > > code is the reason you added the HAVE_GETRLIMIT autoconf check, can you
>   > > guess what can be wrong here?
>   >
>   > The reason I added the getrlimit check was because of the bug reported
>   > here (bug#86):
>
> The check is very likely fine, I was hoping you understand the code the
> macro guards...  Please see Angelo's messages, he gives a lot of details
> that might ring a bell.

It's quite clear from what Angelo wrote that Cygwin's getrlimit is not
a fully functional emulation.  Just to be sure, I looked into the
Cygwin sources and found this gem:

    extern "C" int
    getrlimit (int resource, struct rlimit *rlp)
    {

      [...]

      switch (resource)
        {
        [...]
        case RLIMIT_AS:
          rlp->rlim_cur = 0x80000000UL;
          rlp->rlim_max = 0x80000000UL;
          break;

This obviously cannot work with vm-limit.c.

I think the test in configure should compare rlim_cur with rlim_max,
and if they are identical, deduce that getrlimit is non-functional and
not set HAVE_GETRLIMIT.