Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 15:28:42 -0400

On Aug 4, 2008, at 13:04, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

A variation I'd be more interested in, though, might be the ability to
run window-less.  Much like some Mac apps will let you close the last
window, but keep running, and let you open new windows (or quit)
through the menus that are displayed even without any open windows. I
don't know if there's a good analog for this behavior for X11 and
Windows, though, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

This behavior has been on the wish list for X11 for a while... It might not even be that hard to implement, but nobody has volunteered to do it
so far.

Are there specific ideas for how to keep talking to Emacs in that case other than emacsclient or gnuclient to tell it to run make-frame, or is that the way? (Which reminds me... my old usage pattern for Emacs used to be to run Emacs on the local X display while in front of the machine, and tell it to invoke make-frame-on-display over ssh when logged in remotely. One Emacs process, one long-lived Gnus session, etc. I'd really like to be able to do something like that now, but with the local display on my Mac using the NS support, which means supporting both X and NS in one executable, and in one process.... I also tended to have -- on the local display -- a minibuffer-only frame, and zero or more minibuffer-less editing frames, so I could certainly have no editing frames open at times, though there was always the minibuffer at least.)

I'm mostly just curious; I doubt I'd have time to do anything about this myself any time soon.

Ken