Re: 23.0.60; Constant recentering with scroll-margin set

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; Constant recentering with scroll-margin set
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:15:03 -0400

> What do people think?  When there is a scroll-margin, should
> move-to-window-line automagically move to the scroll-margin instead of
> recentering?

I never used it, neither interactively nor programmatically, so I don't
have a strong opinion on that.  Reading the docstring I get the
impression that the intention is to place the cursor at a particular
location within the window, rather than to place point at a particular
location within the buffer.  So that leads me to think that it should
never cause recentering.  Maybe if the operation cannot be performed,
the function should return the number of lines "left".

        Stefan