Re: On prompt in shell mode

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: On prompt in shell mode
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:02:27 +0200

Stefan Monnier ha scritto:

I'm not sure we talk about the same thing.  I'm talking about running
your shell in a Linux console, or within `screen', or inside a Wyse terminal (if you can find one these days). I.e. without involving
Emacs at all.

As I have written [1], defining

   PS1='\[\e]0;address@hidden \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$ '

in /etc/profile or .bashrc works fine in RXVT, MRXVT, URXVT, XTERM,
(KDE)Konsole WITHOUT Emacs.

i.e. the code '\[\e]0;\w\a\]' prints the working directory as title of
RXVT, MRXVT... window; the remains gives the terminal prompt in the form

   blank line (\n)
   user AT host (in green) working directory (yellow)
   $ (white)

As reported here [2], the main problem Emacs meets is with the window
title '\[\e]0;\w\a\]' (and perhaps this is to be expected)

In any case, have you some comment on how to solve the other question I
pointed out in [2], i.e. setting in .emacs

   (setenv "PS1" "prompt>")

works, but

   (setenv "PS1" "address@hidden \w\n$ ")

doesn't: Emacs starts with errors:

   "An error has occurred while loading '[...]/.emacs':
    error: Non-hex digit used for Unicode escape"

Cheers,
Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-08/msg00536.html