Re: Emacs 22.2.90 pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 22.2.90 pretest
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:41:51 +0300

> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 10:57:26 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> > Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:08:55 -0400
> >
> > Emacs pretest version 22.2.90 is now available.  This is the first
> > pretest for Emacs 22.3, which will be a bugfix release.
> >
> > The source tarball is available here:
> >
> > http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-22.2.90.tar.gz
> >
> > The xdelta against Emacs 22.2 is here:
> >
> > http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-22.2-22.2.90.xdelta
> >
> > The CVS tag is EMACS_PRETEST_22_2_90.
>
> Thanks!

I notice that in this pretest, moving point with C-f and C-b or
inserting a single character is very sluggish: e.g., if I continuously
press C-f, Emacs cannot keep up(!), although this is a 3.2 GHz
machine.  It almost feels like working on a remote machine.

This recent change seems to be a likely suspect:

   2008-07-28  Chong Yidong  <address@hidden>

           * textmodes/flyspell.el (flyspell-word, flyspell-large-region)
           (flyspell-region): Call ispell-maybe-find-aspell-dictionaries.

It seems that its effect is to call ispell-maybe-find-aspell-dictionaries
on every editing command, which is silly, IMO.  Even if we do need to do
that on every command (and I'd like to hear a reason why), the call
should only be made if Ispell is actually Aspell, which in my case it
isn't.  On top of that, ispell-maybe-find-aspell-dictionaries
obviously was not designed to be called frequently: it calls
ispell-check-version, which is expensive and is supposed to be run
once in an Ispell session (it makes unnecessary destructive changes to
the Ispell buffer, invokes another Ispell process, etc.).

Why was this change made?