Re: bug tracker spam

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bug tracker spam
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:42:51 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:02:59 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Human moderation works mainly by holding mail from non-subcribers.
> > This is a good policy for a regular mailing list, where anyone who
> > wants to participate in discussions can simply subscribe to the list.
> > But for a bug-tracker gateway, this is IMO not a very good idea,
> > because someone who wants to report a bug won't normally consider
> > subscribing, as from her point of view reporting a bug is doing us a
> > favor.
>
> Yes, and you can replace "bug-tracker" with "bug mailing list" above
> and nothing changes.

Yes, it does: people tend to submit bugs to a tracker more than they
do to a list where they need to talk to a human.  I believe this was
one of the important reasons for starting the tracker in the first
place.

> I'm not asking for the list to be moderated if it isn't already.
>
> If it is being moderated, let's make more efficient use of the work
> someone is so kindly doing; by using it at zero extra effort to keep
> spam out of the tracker.

I was trying to explain that it isn't zero extra effort, but I
obviously failed to explain that.