Re: whither GNU

From: Jonathan Lange
Subject: Re: whither GNU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 18:15:45 +1000

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 2:47 PM, Jonathan Yavner <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>>   That was pretty evident in the way bzr did get "chosen" as future
>>   dVCS for Emacs.
>
>> David Robinow wrote:
>>   Are there still problems? I don't know. I haven't used it yet. If
>>   you find any you should file a bug report.
>
> I tried using it, but it was too slow, even for my small project (only
> 1200 commits of history, bzr takes many seconds just to show "info").
> I haven't bothered to file a bug report because previous messages on
> emacs-devel indicate that the bzr people are already quite aware of the
> speed problem.  I hope Emacs doesn't drop CVS until after bzr has been
> improved considerably.

Well, the Bazaar hackers always appreciate well-filed bugs —
particularly those that include profiling information. And since
pretty much every release includes performance improvements, it's
worth filing a bug so you get notified when we fix *that* speed
problem. (Like most other complex applications, Bazaar's got a few of
them.)

Also, your particular bug interests me. :)

jml