Re: Cocoa Emacs

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Cocoa Emacs
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 11:59:56 -0400

On Aug 22, 2008, at 5:06 AM, Nick Roberts wrote:

Adrian Robert writes:

... Emacs expects to find the DOC

"make install"

OK, thanks. I did briefly consider (but not try) this but assumed that, by default, "install" would put Emacs somewhere common like / Applications, not in
a directory in my personal workspace.

Some message text is output at the end of "configure" detailing what will happen.

It would make sense to have "install" should behave as you suggest, however it's also nice to be able to test a newly built Emacs.app "nondestructively", and the only way to get everything assembled so this will work is to use make procedures under the "install" target to do the packaging.

A way to get the best of both worlds would be to add an ns-appdir configure option which defaults to ./nextstep but could be set to, e.g., /Applications. Such an option was there before, but I took it out during the process of simplifying the build and getting rid of the extra compile script we used to have. Perhaps now would be a good time to add it back in though.

(Note, if you pass --disable-ns-self-contained, the lisp and other files will be installed in a common location, but the app still goes under nextstep/.)