Re: Problems building CVS Emacs on Windows XP using MinGW

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: Re: Problems building CVS Emacs on Windows XP using MinGW
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:27:44 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Eric Hanchrow
>>
>> This sounds depressingly similar to the problem I reported [...]

> The _real_ problem is not the flame war, but the fact that you and
> Francis are so far the only ones who see these failures.

I didn't realize that on two people had reported this.  I tried a build
on a machine running a recently-installed Windows XP Professional (plus
SP2), and it works!

I'll still collect the info that Eli asked for else-thread, but let me
say that the machine on which I'm having the build problems was setup by
my company's IT department, and may have been _upgraded_ from Windows
2000 instead of getting a fresh XP install.  For instance, Windows is
installed in C:\WINNT instead of C:\WINDOWS.

As well, my company's draconian firewall prevents the machine from
getting automatic updates from Microsoft.  Instead, a small subset of
updates are distributed from an internal WSUS server.

So I suspect the problematic machine has a bizarre mixture of old and
new system software on it and is incompletely patched.
--
Fran