Re: Improving X selection?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:34:31 +0300

>>> That would make a lot of sense to me,
>>
>> Shift-Insert is kind of quasi standard to paste the *selection* on X11.
>> This would make emacs behavior even more "non standard".  I don't care
>> much, just wanted to note that.
>
> Might be nicer the other way around i.e. C-w/M-w/C-y (and C-x/C-c/C-v in
> cua mode) to use CLIPBOARD and S-Delete/C-Insert/S-Insert to use PRIMARY....
>
> In the end, like everything else in this area, probably need to be
> configurable to keep everyone happy, of course. ho hum.

I often need to run Emacs without a .emacs file, and the first thing
I have to do every time after running Emacs is to type the long sequence
`M-x set-variable RET x-select-enable-clipboard RET t RET'.  This is the
only default setting that makes Emacs unusable for me without customization.

I'm already tired of this problem and would be happy if Emacs provided
one set of keys (either C-w/M-w/C-y or S-Delete/C-Insert/S-Insert) for
the clipboard selection.  The standard behavior of S-Delete/C-Insert/S-Insert
in most other programs is to work with the clipboard, so it seems more
reasonable to bind them to the clipboard operations in Emacs.

Another problem is using `M-0 w' in Dired - it doesn't put the file name
to the clipboard.  We could bind C-Insert to a new Dired command that
will do the same as `M-0 w' but using the clipboard.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/