Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:54:17 +0800

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
I just deleted a file because I misunderstood dired. I needed that file
(of course).

And then I found that dired did not make any backup and did not use
windows Recycle bin.

Of course not. The Recycle Bin is part of the Explorer shell, not a fundamental part of deleting files on the OS. If you go to a command prompt and type "del filename.txt" it will not use the Recycle Bin either, and nor will most other programs that delete files from outside of the Explorer shell.

However, someone submitted a patch some time ago to move files to the desktop's trash which works on Windows and with the common convention used by Gnome, KDE and Mac OSX. To use it you need to set `delete-by-moving-to-trash'.

This behaviour does not make me trust for example GNU/Linux.

That is a strange statement, since you are not even using GNU/Linux.