Re: Release plans

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:41:46 -0400

    - Merge CEDET, and improve it so great IDE functionality can be had
      fairly easily
    - Merge ECB so IDE like code browsing tools becomes available

I am in favor of these goals.

    - Make it possible to write more beautiful elisp. I'm not a lisp expert
      but even I find it painful that writing recursive functions is made
      hard due to the lack of tail-optimization. It should be fun to code
      elisp.

Yes and no.  To make tail-recursion work would be nice.
However, USING it in the code of Emacs could be a bad thing,
because it often makes the code harder to understand.
All in all, it is better to write a loop.

    - provide different levels of chrome out of the box. One skin would be
      bling-bling with all facilities enabled, transparent windows etc, and
      another one would be monk mode with nearly nothing.

I am for it if users like it.