Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: vc-git bug with top-level repositories
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:05:26 -0400

   >> Well, in that case, perhaps you need to add an option to disable this
   >> heuristic, since if someone is unfortunate enough to be in the alleged
   >> 0.0001%, she will need a fire escape.

   >    Might be.  I'd still like to know how the OP ended up in this situation,

   > I ended up not using vc-mode, but using the command line.  A
   > major pain.

   That explains how you worked around VC's limitation, but I'd be
   interested to hear about how you ended up in a state where you
   bumped into VC's limitation.  I.e. how come your /foo/bar/ is owned
   by a different user than /foo/ even though they're both part of the
   same Git tree?

In this case, the directory was in /, / is always owned by root, and
/.git was owned by ams.  I suspect this only crops up in system wide
git trees, like /etc is owned by root, and then you have another user
create /etc/.git to manage /etc.