Re: Visual line movement inconsistency

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Visual line movement inconsistency
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 08:53:39 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
>> So far it all seems pretty reasonable to me.
>
> IMO, there should be at least an option to show "word wrap" indicators
> in the fringes.  You may disagree...
>
> In any case, if you create a very long word which spans more than one line in
> word wrap mode, the "wrap" indicates are not shown to indicate that the
> line does indeed continue.  That's a bug that I reported some time ago.

I think it might be useful to have distinct indicators for the two types
of wrapping, yes.  If there was such a feature, visual-line-mode (please
distinguish this from "word wrap mode", as they're not the same thing)
could use it to show indicators for non-word wrapping while suppressing
those for normal word-wrapping.  That would probably make most users
happy.

However that's mainly useful for the "very long word" wrapping case you
mention, and that's a pretty rare occurance, so it doesn't seem like a
particularly critical thing.  If someone decides to put in the time to
implement it, great; otherwise, whatever.

-Miles

--
Quotation, n. The act of repeating erroneously the words of another. The words
erroneously repeated.