Re: Rmail-mbox branch

From: Evil Boris
Subject: Re: Rmail-mbox branch
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:15:04 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Paul Michael Reilly <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> After I work out with the maintainers when to inflict Rmail/mbox on
>> all Users, the ChangeLog will be created.
>
> Is there any reason not to inflict it *now*?

I am a regular user of RMAIL.  I have not had a chance to use the mbox
version, for two reasons.

The main reason is that, as of the last time anything concrete was said
on this mailing list of the state of RMAIL/mbox, it was mentioned that
there was no support for dealing with attachments (and I somehow also
assumed that dealing with non-US character sets and/or UNICODE, but I
may be confused).  I need this functionality for my day-to-day use of
rmail.  "Inflicting" it on users without such support seems a bit
excessive.

Secondly, rmail/mbox converts my mailbox to mbox format.  Which is fine
for a one-time experiment (backup, try it, play with the buttons, etc),
but I would be reluctant to use it day-to-day, until I have some
confidence that newly arriving mail is handled without data loss.  Just
paranoid, a bit.

--Boris

PS. I do not use IMAP at the moment, so this is a secondary issue for
me.  I am not sure if IMAP (not just fetching via IMAP) is consistent
with Rmail's view of the world, by the way.