Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Why @#! is not Emacs using the Recycle bin on w32?
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:22:26 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 02:25:52PM +0200, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>> address@hidden wrote:
>>> Sorry. It was meant as a sarcastic remark (and as such rather
>>> inconstructive, I apologize) towards those who want to impose whatever
>>> inconsistent idea Windows has come up upon the rest of us.
>> Writing on controversiel matters is difficult. Is not "inconsistent"
>> another sarcasm? ;-)

> It's those behaviours I was labelling as "inconsistent" -- this was
> honest and straight and not a bit sarcastic.

Yes, I know (but thanks for the details). But "whatever inconsistent
idea Window has come up upon" is perhaps a bit disparaging (though I
tend to believe you did not notice yourself)? Not that I am very fond of
w32, but saves time to avoid both disparaging and adoring expressions
during discussions.

If someone want to express something like that it is much better to do
that separately in my opinion. And I am trying to learn that myself ...

> Yep. But if you propose a different default, you might expect to hear
> some screams ;-)

I think I know ;-)

> BTW: I'm not opposed to the idea of a "trash" can. But I'd like to see
> it implemented as part of the file system. That's clean, has no security
> risks, and it's not up to every single user app to (re-)implement it in a
> possibly slightly different way (yes: a desktop environment is a user
> app (or a bunch thereof)).

Agreed.