Re: Release plans

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:48:10 -0700

Richard M. Stallman wrote:
current_column is one example of code that looks directly
at buffer contents.

I see.   And like regex.c it has special-case hair to cope with
the gap, etc.

FWIW I think this new data structure will be *easier* to
use and require less hair like that (but, proof is in the pudding
so we'll see when it's done).

I cannot give an example from xdisp.c because I cannot find the code
that actually looks at the buffer.  I don't remember the function name,
and I can't find the place it is called from either.

It looks to me like the display code has gotten gradually
more cleanly abstract over the years.    It still has all of the
considerable hair/tedium that seems to be intrinsic to the redisplay
problem but looks like it keeps a decent arm's length from
buffer internals.  It looks nicer than I remember it being
way back.

-t