Re: Enhancement suggestion: prin1 extension mechanism

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Enhancement suggestion: prin1 extension mechanism
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:31:34 -0500

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:23:26 -0400 "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
wrote:
RMS> Eric Ludlam wrote:
RMS> EL> All of EIEIO is supported by a single addition to this feature.  I
RMS> EL> also use it for other data structures that are not EIEIO classes.

RMS> IF we are going to have an extension of this kind, it would be much
RMS> cleaner to built it into print.c, using data structures convenient for
RMS> print.c to implement.

Sorry to jump in, but I recently asked about a way to cleanly dump and
restore a hashtable.  Can that work coincide with the enhancement Eric
is discussing, which if I understand correctly is a condensed prin1
suitable for debugging?  I mention it because it seems sensible to think
both in the direction of Eric's work and in the direction of deeper
inspection of the built-in Emacs Lisp data structures.  Maybe it can be
simply a "dump level" parameter to prin1, going from "condensed" to
"normal" to "deep," separate from the print-level parameter or joined
with it.

I don't know print.c (yet), but if no one else is interested in doing
this, I can put the hashtable dump functionality on my TODO list.

Thanks
Ted