Re: emacs crash when open some newsgroups with gnus

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: emacs crash when open some newsgroups with gnus
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:42:36 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, "S.P.Tseng" <address@hidden> writes:

> I think I have found the reason.

> After execute '(define-coding-system-alias 'gbk 'gb2312)', charset gbk will be
> treated as charset gb2312. Emacs22 do not have the charset gbk, so that will
> be
> fine. But Emacs23 support both. You know the charset gbk is bigger than
> gb2312,
> when some char belong to charset gbk but be treated as gb2312 it will cause
> overflow.

Coding system and charset are different concepts in Emacs,
and as far as I remember, I designed coding system in Emacs
23 not to crash even if one does (define-coding-system-alias
'gbk 'gb2312).  If it crashes in your case, there's a bug.
But, I can't reproduce the crash.  So, could you please find
where Emacs crashes, or show me an exact recipe to reproduce
the crash.

> How about when execute (define-coding-system-alias A B), if charset A is
> bigger than B,
> give some warning or refuse?

It may be a solution but at first I want to know which code
is wrong.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden