Re: Yesterdays observation of lower left fringe

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Yesterdays observation of lower left fringe
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:43:44 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> If the last line has an ending newline char then place the fringe symbol
> one line down (and let it be the same symbol). What about that?

That would make the normal case where there is a terminating newline
present*, kind of ugly IMO.   I'd agree that the upper right symbol is
a bit wierd, but better use a different symbol when there's no final
newline, maybe something like |... , not move a line down IMO. i.e. a
dotted horizontal bar on the "L" because the line hasn't been terminated
yet.

* Technically, a bit like C vs. Pascal ';', most programs treat "\n" as
a line terminator, some as a line separator.   Having the fringe marker
move another line down for a present final newline would make more sense
if newline were considered a separator, as programs observing that
convention might think there was a new, empty line if the last line in
the file had a newline at the end.  But AFAIK considering it a
terminator is far more common than separator.