Re: Are we in feature-freeze?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Are we in feature-freeze?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 06:25:01 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,  Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 23:03:07 -0400
>
> Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There are so many major things that need fixing for 23.1, that I think
> > it's counterproductive to put a freeze on minor features now, like the
> > one Eli is suggesting.  A total freeze only seems appropriate when
> > bugs are being actively fixed, and I don't see that now.
>
> Bugs are being actively fixed.  Not as quickly as I would like, since we
> don't have enough people working on it, but we are very much in the bug
> reduction phase.

Is FOR-RELEASE supposed to be the definitive list of things to be
fixed before the release, or are there some alternative methods
available now that we use a bug tracker?

If it's still FOR-RELEASE, then several problems people were
complaining about are not even there.  For example, the slow redisplay
with the font back-ends, and the problems with non-ASCII characters on
TTYs.  I don't think we can release Emacs with these two problems.