Re: bug in server-start

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:10:02 +0100

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 12:04, Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

> What benefit does that bring?  Presumably, previously the first Emacs
> instance was the current server, which was fine with me.

No. If you were using TCP sockets, for example, the second instance
overwrote the authentication file, so the first one was "blind" (there
was no way an emacsclient could connect with it).

> Yes, that is what I mean't and it follows the description in the manual:
>
>                                            ...or put the expression
>  `(server-start)' in your initialization file (*note Init File::).
>
> So I expect many Emacs users will encounter this error.
>
> In contrast, I see no mention of server-force-delete, so they probably won't
> know what to do about it except remove server-start from their .emacs, or put
> it in a condition-case.

I agree that server-force-delete is underdocumented, if not for other
thing that it is just added and we're still trying to see what is the
best interface (so your complain here certainly helps).

That said, the same Info page that you quote says:

   You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server-name'.

Running two instances of Emacs that start servers with the same name
is an error. It's just that it was an undetected error before.

    Juanma