Re: map-file-lines

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: map-file-lines
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 00:40:40 -0500

    This is essentially mapping byte offsets to line positions, with extra
    calculations.  As Stefan suggested, it's better to just use byte
    offsets.

The main point of my message is the UI proposal.  You're right that
it's good to use byte offsets.  I had not thought about that, but it
could be done by specifying the -b option for grep.

    Otherwise I think your suggestions are similar to mine: set up a special
    mode where the buffer is a window[1] into the file instead of the whole
    file, and create special commands to move the window back and forth.

I proposed a specific UI for specifying which part of the file to
edit, one I think will be convenient.