Modifier state?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Modifier state?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:18:47 -0500

Do we have a way to detect the modifier state from the Lisp level, or bind commands to modifier state changes?

I'd like to run a command whenever the user presses and releases the Meta (not ESC) key. This would be on non-TTY sessions.

A lot of applications show additional info when you press Alt/Option (which is Meta for me); they even update the menus with alternative functions. The user can even view a menu, press and hold Alt/Option and see the menu items change.

Thanks
- David