Re: Is this fallout from the end-of-defun changes?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Is this fallout from the end-of-defun changes?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:57:20 +0000

Hi, Juanma,

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:01:04AM +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> ;;; bug.el ;;;
> (defun function1 ()
>   nil)
>
> (defun function2 ()
>   nil)
> ;;; end ;;;

> Doing

>   emacs -Q bug.el --eval "(progn (forward-list) (eval-defun nil))"

> With 22.3              => function1
> With the pretest       => function1
> With the current trunk => function2

> I'll file a bug report as soon as Stefan confirms that it is one (it
> should, it's quite weird to be on a line of function1 and get
> function2 evalled).

It appears to be a bug fix - eval-defun now does what the doc string
says (evaluate the function surrounding point, or the one after point).

For point outside a defun, the behaviour in Emacs 22 was somewhat
heuristic - compile the previous defun if point is on the same line as
that defun's closing paren, else compile the following defun, if any,
else the previous defun.  I think this is reasonable behaviour  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuernberg).