Re: Font Problem with 23.0.92.1 - wrong font used

From: Taylor Venable
Subject: Re: Font Problem with 23.0.92.1 - wrong font used
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 23:14:19 -0400

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:07:04AM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Taylor Venable <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It looks a lot better now.  Without the ja font, from a preliminary
> > look everything seems to be good.  (See attached screenshot named
> > emacs-no-ja-font.png)  However, with the ja font in the font path
> > things are still a little off; bold faces are the wrong width (80
> > rather than the requested 70) and some other faces (like tooltip and
> > inactive mode line) use the "semicondensed" variant rather than the
> > "normal" variant.  The default face is now correct though.  See
> > attached screenshot named emacs-with-ja-font.png in the highlighted
> > areas for the things that are still not quite right.
>
> Ummm, weird.  Please define this function:
>
> (defun font-file-at ()
>   (interactive)
>   (message "%s" (aref (query-font (font-at (point))) 1)))
>
> and run it while putting cursor on "abc..." of `default',
> `mode-line-inactive', and `tooltip' lines in *Faces* buffer
> that is shown by M-x list-faces-display RET.

First, when the Japanese font is present:

default: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/7x13-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz
mode-line-inactive: [the same]
tooltip: [the same]

Strangely enough, the font shown as the example for 'default' is not
the font used in the buffer display; again it appears to be the semi-
condensed variant, whereas the font used in the buffer display appears
to be the correct normal variant.  If I do M-x customize-face default
I notice that the value has been set outside customize, and telling it
to set for the current session redisplays the buffer using the semi-
condensed face.

When I run this function on 'bold' I get nil.  Finding a face that
looks like what I want and see in the buffer display, the function
reports the value as /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/7x13.pcf.gz - but
the font for the 'bold-italic' face which also looks correct (there is
no italic slant variant for the -misc-fixed font I'm using) is
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/8x13B-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz

Without the Japanese font in the font path, I get these:

default: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/7x13.pcf.gz
bold: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/8x13B-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz

It seems as if these are the fonts that I want for normal and bold,
respectively.  It seems as if the default and bold faces are being
chosen incorrectly while the Japanese font is present.

--
Taylor Christopher Venable
http://real.metasyntax.net:2357/