Re: GSoC: collaborative editing

From: Brian Templeton
Subject: Re: GSoC: collaborative editing
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 05:09:43 -0400

> Brian Templeton writes:
>
>  > Most P2P algorithms *do* impose a total order on operations; it's just
>  > more difficult to maintain that order.
>
> Excuse me?  How do you do that when you may not currently be in
> contact with all the peers who are operating on the text?

Most published algorithms on P2P collaborative editing implicitly or
explicitly assume the availability of a fairly reliable network, and
assume that peers can stay in almost constant contact with each other.
Many algorithms would technically "work" with an unreliable network, but
the implementations would not be very usable.