Re: "C-c C-c" binding for "submission" in server edit buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "C-c C-c" binding for "submission" in server edit buffers
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:00:23 -0400

>>> The following patch seems to make things work more or less as my fingers
>>> expect them too (maybe it should automatically save the buffer first, as
>>> most uses of C-c C-c seem to do that); what do people think (of the
>>> idea anyway ... maybe the implementation has some problem)?
>> I see the logic of it, but I personally would hate it (I often use
>> emacsclient for files where C-c C-c submits elsewhere than "back to the
>> caller of emacsclient").  I use C-x C-c for "end of edit" instead.
> I agree that it's might be a tiny bit too specialized to be turned on by
> default -- after all, some people do use emacclient simply to start new
> editing sessions.

After thinking some more about it, I see that this patch probably
wouldn't affect me much because it doesn't seem to affect
"emacsclient --no-wait", which is what I use 99% of the time.

> Perhaps what would be best would be to have it off by deafult, but
> provide a very easy way to turn it on from emacsclient, via a command
> line option, an environment variable, or something.  I think when I want
> this behavior, it's usually when invoking from specific contexts via
> VISUAL/EDITOR (mutt/git/etc), but in those contexts, I pretty much
> always want it.

Maybe a global binding rather than a minor-mode binding would be less
problematic (since minor-mode bindings take precedence over major-mode
bindings).

        Stefan