Re: M-x compile and window splitting

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: M-x compile and window splitting
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:00:01 +0200

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

Hi!

> In Emacs 23, the window is split vertically instead of horizontally

No, it's split horizontally instead of vertically in Emacs speach, see
`C-h k C-x 3'.

> and compilation-window-height doesn't seem to have any effect anymore.
>
> I like the change that the window is split vertically instead of
> horizontally, however I see some issues:
>
> - compilation-window-height looses its meaning (the variable is not
>   mentioned in info but shows up in M-x customize-group <RET> compilation)

Yes, for horizontal splitting something like compilation-window-width
would be needed, just as there's split-height-threshold and
split-width-threshold.

,----[ /usr/share/emacs/23.0.92/etc/NEWS ]

`----

> - there doesn't seem to exist a possibility to influence the width of
>   the new window

As always with splitting, it takes half of the available space.

Bye,
Tassilo