Re: eterm-color not in ncurses/terminfo (and name clash with eterm.org)

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: eterm-color not in ncurses/terminfo (and name clash with eterm.org)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 08:09:20 +0200

>> u6=\E[%i%d;%dR,
>> u7=\E[6n,

> The man page does not say much what these are supposed to do.

There's an explanation about "user capabilities" in terminfo.src:

# INTERPRETATION OF USER CAPABILITIES
#
# The System V Release 4 and XPG4 terminfo format defines ten string
# capabilities for use by applications, <u0>...<u9>.   In this file, we use
# certain of these capabilities to describe functions which are not covered
# by terminfo.  The mapping is as follows:
#
#       u9      terminal enquire string (equiv. to ANSI/ECMA-48 DA)
#       u8      terminal answerback description
#       u7      cursor position request (equiv. to VT100/ANSI/ECMA-48 DSR 6)
#       u6      cursor position report (equiv. to ANSI/ECMA-48 CPR)
#
# The terminal enquire string <u9> should elicit an answerback response
# from the terminal.  Common values for <u9> will be ^E (on older ASCII
# terminals) or \E[c (on newer VT100/ANSI/ECMA-48-compatible terminals).
#
# The cursor position request (<u7>) string should elicit a cursor position
# report.  A typical value (for VT100 terminals) is \E[6n.
#
# The terminal answerback description (u8) must consist of an expected
# answerback string.  The string may contain the following scanf(3)-like
# escapes:
#
#       %c      Accept any character
#       %[...]  Accept any number of characters in the given set
#
# The cursor position report (<u6>) string must contain two scanf(3)-style
# %d format elements.  The first of these must correspond to the Y coordinate
# and the second to the %d.  If the string contains the sequence %i, it is
# taken as an instruction to decrement each value after reading it (this is
# the inverse sense from the cup string).  The typical CPR value is
# \E[%i%d;%dR (on VT100/ANSI/ECMA-48-compatible terminals).
#
# These capabilities are used by tack(1m), the terminfo action checker
# (distributed with ncurses 5.0).