Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 22:32:53 -0700

On May 14, 2009, at 11:17 AM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

On a more general note, I wonder why experienced users occasionally
resist change in the UI in general (as it breaks things) rather than
avoiding to upgrade.

[linguistic point: "avoid" takes a noun or a gerund (which needn't be
round), not an infinitive. You want "avoiding an upgrade" or "avoiding
upgrading" here.]

You are right. My heartfelt apologies. Language is to me what people (me excluded) speak, not what some book says. The avoid+infinitive construction doesn't get any traction in a Google search (using past tense), so I concede.

You're not trying to ignite another rambling heated debate about changing
long standing features, are you?  OK, thought not.

God no, I am not.

Changing the UI makes the new version incompatible with the learning of
the users of the old versions.

Absolutely. But if people don't like change, then they shouldn't be forced to upgrade if we provided decent support for older versions. As you said, a new VCS will hopefully facilitate this. I use git and have evaluated Bazaar, and they both can cherry-pick bugfixes from the development branch and facilitate just that. One could really start with Emacs 22.

Projects of the size/importance of Emacs should provide a roadmap with a promise to support certain releases for x many years. But even providing [important] bug fixes for the 22 series for a while should be considered.

- David
(who is actually a Diplom-Sprachwissenschaftler.)