Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: longlines-mode and visual-line-mode
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 18:26:38 +0200

2009/5/31 Leo <address@hidden>:
> Hi there,
>
> After briefly trying these two modes, I haven't found any significant
> difference between them. It looks like longlines has all the features
> for visual-line-mode. Is my impression correct? Thank you.
>
> --
> .:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.

This is not the case, as I understand it.  For an example, fill a
buffer with a very long line in longlines-mode and resize the window.
Then turn it off and switch to visual-line-mode and resize the window.
 Notice the difference!  visual-line-mode turns on word-wrap (a
variable) which is what gives this differente behaviour.

IIRC, longlines-mode is/was a hack which was introduced due to the
lack of something like word-wrap in earlier versions of Emacs.

--
Deniz Dogan