Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:54:01 +0900

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Why do you suppose an Emacs newbie would expect the arrow keys to be the
>>> same as C-n/C-p?
>
>> Having them be "similar but subtly different" horribly confuses an
>> otherwise straight-forward association.
>
> I do not think that is true for something that you use as often as those keys.

I suppose an experienced user, like me, who uses both often[*], might be
so accustomed to the differences that they would internalize them.  Then
they'd probably simply be _annoyed_ by the arbitrary differences, rather
than confused by them.

However my reply was talking about newbies.  An emacs newbie,
tentatively exploring the use of C-p/C-n instead of arrow-keys wouldn't
have that experience.  It seems pretty likely to me that they _would_
get confused (and annoyed of course) by such seemingly arbitrary
differences and that this might discourage them.

-Miles

[*] I use arrow keys and C-n/C-p/etc pretty much interchangeably,
    depending on, for example, on whether I happen to be typing some
    text with both hands, or am browsing through a file while drinking
    coffee with the other hand....

--
Christian, n. One who follows the teachings of Christ so long as they are not
inconsistent with a life of sin.