Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 13:44:17 +0100

Miles Bader wrote:
One thing which annoys me is that Emacs seems to ignore .Xdefaults if
there's anything in the server's xrdb database -- and recent versions of
gnome, put crap in the xrdb database without being asked to.

? It was my understanding (which could be flawed) that applications never look at .Xdefaults, it's up to you to do an

xrdb -merge .Xdefaults

That happens once at login time automatically*, and if gnome or kde overwrite stuff post that time (as you say gnome does and kde can be optionally configured to, to partially apply your kde theme to non-kde applications, something that never works right of course, but in the kde case you can at least turn it off...), then it's up to you to re-merge ?

* Usually by a script in e.g. (debian):
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/30x11-common_xresources