Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:52:49 -0400

Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> writes:

> Having talked to some people on the XMonad mailing list, it seems that
> it is probably Emacs that has the bug in this case.

What's the reasoning behind this conclusion?

It sounds like you have two separate issues: (i) font setting in X
resources not being recognized, and (ii) incorrect window sizing.  It's
plausible that (ii) is an Emacs bug, since interaction with window
managers is a tricky issue; one thing you can try is to compile Emacs
without GTK support, and see if that makes a difference.

But as for (i), I find it hard to imagine how this can be an Emacs bug.
On typical systems (such as Gnome desktops), Emacs has no problem
detecting X resources.  It seems more likely that either Xmonad or
something else on your system is screwing up the xrdb.  If you specify X
resources for, say, xterm, are they applied correctly?  For example:

xterm*font:-misc-fixed-medium-*-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*