Re: how to tell what's in the fringe? (lazy fringe)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: how to tell what's in the fringe? (lazy fringe)
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 11:45:02 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> So my thought was to code up some lazy fringe: a fringe that would not show,
> except when there is some non-blank glyph in it. But I don't know how to test
> whether that condition is satisfied (e.g. in Lisp).
>
> Is that even logical? Perhaps if a fringe is not shown then its
> content is empty or undefined? I was thinking in terms of it having
> content that is simply not shown, but maybe that's incorrect.

Many of the fringe indicators are very dynamic, and only known in
relation to a particular redisplay.  Morever, the presence of the fringe
can change the physical dimensions of the area available for redisplay.

If there's a particular less-dynamic indicator you're interested in,
then perhaps it reflects a condition that can be tested for more easily
in lisp code.

-Miles

--
Inhumanity, n. One of the signal and characteristic qualities of humanity.