Re: Branching

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Branching
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 01:06:32 -0400

Okay.  I made the EMACS_23_1_RC branch, coinciding with the
EMACS_23_1_BASE tag on HEAD.  The version number on the trunk is now
23.1.50.  (Hopefully, no mistakes in CVS usage this time round ;-)

To switch to tracking the branch in your CVS tree, do

  cvs up -r EMACS_23_1_RC

The branch will be used to release 23.1.  Until then, whenever you
commit a fix that is intended for inclusion in 23.1, please check it
into *both* the branch and the trunk.

(After the 23.1 release, it will no longer be necessary to commit to the
branch.  If, for whatever reason, we later decide to change course and
make a 23.2 bugfix-only release from the branch rather than the trunk,
we'll port the necessary fixes to the branch.)

The trunk is now open for all non-regression bugfixes.  New features can
also be added to the trunk, but please discuss on emacs-devel first.