Re: fadr

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: fadr
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:14:45 +0200

() Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
() Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:12:58 -0400

   Unless there is some overriding reason, I think the GDB-MI
   project should drop the fadr dependency.  If you need a way to
   interface easily with nested structures, I suggest using Common
   Lisp structures, i.e. the `defstruct' macro which has been in
   cl-macs.el for a long time.

I would also suggest looking at bindat.el, which is adept at wire
to tree to wire (unpacking/packing) operations for (possibly
nested) fixed-width data types.  If we already have a tree,
`bindat-get-field' tweaked or extended is preferable to
`fadr-member' stunted or recast.

Put another way, i'd rather see:

  (bindat-get-field/searching basket 'apples 1 'color)

than:

  (fadr-member basket ".apples[1].color")

Insert Perlis quote re strings, here....

thi