Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 20:10:41 +0200

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Eli Zaretskii<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 19:56:06 +0200
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden

>> > I don't see how it can be.  Many other GUI programs have a similar
>> > feature, and I didn't find it confusing at all.
>>
>> They do? It does not at all seem common to me, but maybe I have just
>> missed it. I just looked in Firefox and OpenOffice.org and I can't see
>> anything similar.
>
> Try harder.

You got me. I simply must be missing it. Exactly where in the Firefox
menus is it??

>> > That'd be a major annoyance, I think.
>>
>> Exactly why?
>
> Because I don't like to be annoyed with interactive prompts too much,
> they get in the way of fast typing.

How can fast typing interfere with setting an option in the menus?

(Well it can, or could at least before. If you opened the menu and
made your choice too fast then nearly anything could happen. But I do
not know if that is still buggy because I used my patched version to
avoid that. BTW Firefox still has a rather similar bug.)

>> Are you misunderstanding what I suggested?
>
> No, I understand you very well.

So you are saying that subgroups are bad because they do not give you
enough structure?