Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Fiddling with the menus (was: bug#4043: 23.1; thanks for emacs 23!)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 10:51:57 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:

 > It is quite a bit irritating that they are not in the menus. I would
 > suggest putting them under goto. Just make a submenu
 >
 >    Edit / Go to / Tags
 >
 > and put all the commands in (info "(emacs) Find Tag") there.

XEmacs puts Tags under Tools (you can do more with them than just go
to) at the top level.

 > Such things would be very helpful. The reason to not put them there
 > has been arguments like "it is too much" and "it is too deep".

How about, "it can be damn slow"?  XEmacs does have fairly deep and
quite redundant menus, and I like them because of the discoverability.
But constructing the menus does take quite a bit of time because they
live in the files that they pertain to, which have to be loaded.

That's not a reason to avoid them completely (eg, it could be done at
build time using an automenu tool similar to auto-autoloads), but it
is definitely a consideration if you want to implement deep
discoverable menus.