Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:28:58 +0900

martin rudalics writes:

 > This is yet another question on how Emacs interacts with the various WMs
 > it supports.

Absolutely nothing I've said depends on interactions with WMs.  That's
why it's so radical (and elegant, if I do say so myself).  All I
require is that you can have a child window that is *any* size and
position relative to the parent, and that window managers do not
directly manage children of top-level windows.  That is true in X.

Let's try putting it this way: if the frame shrinks to the point that
for some reason Emacs cannot fit into it without deleting a window,
Emacs gives up on fitting into the frame, and maintains its window
configuration as is.

In X, you're done, if you want: the lower right portion of the
contents of the frame will be clipped.  Alternatively, Emacs can
translate the position of the contents so that some selected portion
is visible in the "viewport"[1] created by the toplevel window, and
everything that "slops over" is clipped.  I don't know how other GUIs
handle this.

Footnotes:
[1]  Look up the Viewport and Panner widgets in the Athena Widgets
(Xaw) documentation.