Re: eval-after-load not harmful after all

From: Leo
Subject: Re: eval-after-load not harmful after all
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:44:05 +0100

On 2009-08-17 01:34 +0100, Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM, Leo<address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Emacs -Q already has a non-nil after-load-alist value. I think this is a
>> really bad example.
>

> I think at least for CUA-mode and semantic-mode they instead good
> examples on that eval-after-load can be useful even within Emacs. If I
> understand it right these checks if an old version of the modes have
> been loaded before the one that is now bundled with Emacs. Can you see
> a better way to do this? I can't.

I just found out those are added from within simple.el. But they look to me
more like a last minute hack before release although I am not sure.

What those e-v-l's do is pretty little and they don't belong there. If
there's a bug in, say, bbdb 2.29, should a new entry be added? After all
if a package is installed by a user, it is the user's responsibility.

>> Is there any way to cleanly unload an eval-after-load form? For example,
>> if a package eval-after-load something that interferes with a user's
>> personal setting, what to do?
>
> Can't you just delete the entry in after-load-alist? Or do you want to
> do it afterwards? I can see no way to do that in the general case.

Each entry could involve multiple e-v-l's. There's extra care that needs
to be taken.

--
Leo's Emacs uptime: 13 days, 11 hours, 21 minutes, 36 seconds