Re: Info about color-values need be revised

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Info about color-values need be revised
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 13:57:49 +0900

>> As I've been saying, the alpha component support in the NS port
>> should have been removed in the first place.
>>
>> Does anyone oppose doing that (again) in the trunk?
>>
>> Also, we can observe that users tend to spread (*) such an eye
>> candy feature without caring about various compatibility issues or
>> the GNU policy.  That's why it was important to get rid of such a
>> feature from the release version.

> You were right about these things for the release, but as for the
> trunk, could people please consider the alternative:

> Adding transparency to the other platforms where the APIs support it
> easily, and creating Lisp-level compatibility for transparency in
> the color specification.  -?

It is important to discuss how the color specification with alpha
component should look like.  Most of the current NS color
specifications are defined arbitrarily without following any existing
standards or discussing with other developers.  I think they should be
revamped (i.e., remove the current code now, and add a new code when
the specification is determined and implementation is added for
GNU/Linux).

It may take time and sometimes cumbersome, but I think it is the right
way to avoid diverging.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden