Re: bzr for Gnus

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr for Gnus
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:27:34 -0400

A thought about the Bazaar switchover:

Let's not make the Gnus merge recipe a prerequisite for switching.
There are various ways to handle situations like Gnus's; I'm frankly not
sure which is the best, and I think experimentation on the part of those
closest to the code is going to be the only way to sort it out.

But the way to make that experimentation happen is to make it a
necessity.  I don't mean that callously -- it's just the way things
actually get done.  That's how it went when Emacs used CVS too.  That
is, Emacs switched to CVS (easy enough, since it had been on RCS before
that, IIRC), and externally versioned codebases that needed to integrate
with that figured out how to do so on the fly as the need arose.  That's
what's going to happen here too.

Does this sound sane?  I'm just worried about creating needlessly huge
blockers to the switchover.

-Karl