Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:27:10 +0900

>     Ideal case : emacs would monitor every file
>     used by buffers, and notify of changes with the current dialog (continue,
>     refresh, etc) in visible buffers.
>
> To have the capability to watch a file for changes would be useful.
> To do this by default for all visited files could be more of a pain in
> the neck than a convenience.

I was thinking such a feature could be used simply to optimize
`auto-revert-mode' and `global-auto-revert-mode'.

Whether it's worth it, I don't know.  Is the cost of the current
implementation of global-auto-revert-mode high enough to be a problem,
or the granularity too coarse?

[I guess it's actually quite system-dependent]

-Miles

--
Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature
of the Unknowable.