Re: Source Code Formatting Standard Update

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Source Code Formatting Standard Update
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:13:11 -0400

   So, these days at least, there is no technical motivation for
   having the open curly brace '{' in column 0. I plea that the
   Standard be amended so that the { placement for the start of a body
   of a non-enclosed function is consistent with use otherwise. The
   increased consistency will also make it possible to have simpler
   implementations of automatic formatting software.

I'm not sure what you mean, the requirement is only for function
bodies, placing the curly at any other position seems very weird to
me.  And it makes it very simple to figure out what is a defun or
isn't, automatically and by the brain.

   I prefer to leave formatting source code to a machine; even more so
   when working in a team. When formatting is not available by
   automation, it sometimes does not get done. I would like to have a
   fast, standalone formatter as a pre commit hook to a VCS.

GNU indent does the right thing by default when it comes to the GNU
coding standards.  And you can supply switches so that it does the
right thing for your team.