Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:58:17 -0400

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 09:43 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Stephen> ELPA is a nice starting point. But I think it is
> Stephen> disproportionally easy to download packages, as opposed to
> Stephen> submitting them. For single files, I would very much like to
> Stephen> have a M-x submit-package, and have it do anything required to
> Stephen> upload it, adding licenses and so on.
>
> > Yeah.  I would like this too, but that would mean finding time to write
> > the web app and everything else :-)
>
> For the FSF-hosted repository of packages, I'd want all the packages
> to be version controlled, so the "submit-package" would be nothing else
> than "bzr commit" (but yes, some extra code would need to be written to
> automatically build a tarball out of the newly committed code, ...).

EDE builds makefiles that builds dist files for projects.  CEDET's
distribution files are fabricated by EDE's code generator.  If there
were to be a "preferred" Emacs Lisp project style, EDE would be able to
handle it easily as a wrapper on top of whatever the preferred
implementation is, or you can use the same pattern that CEDET uses now.

Eric