RE: make-variable-buffer-local change

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: make-variable-buffer-local change
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 11:06:15 -0700

> > Interesting that the doc string would say that Dired uses
> > this. It does not, AFAICT - it _sets_ this var, so that
> > others, such as buff-menu can use it. The
> > same thing holds for shell, AFAICT.
> >
> > "Use" here should mean uses the variable to display its
> > value in a buffer listing (as the first part of the doc
> > string suggests).
> >
> > IOW, the only modes the doc string mentions as examples of
> > using this variable do not in fact use it - they do not
> > display buffer listings at all. Instead, they merely set the
> > value so that others can use it.
>
> I'd say "use" covers both kinds of use, but I'll defer to natives.

It's not a question of native speakers. "Use" here refers to what the string is
_for_; what it is used for. It is used in a buffer listing, as a substitute for
a file name.

"Use" is use for users (including users of Lisp). Users generally don't know or
care which code sets the variable. What's interesting to them is what it is for,
how it is used, what its effect is.

> > Please correct the doc string accordingly.
>
> Don't hesitate to send a patch and I'll commit it ASAP.

Just get rid of "Dired, shell and other modes use this variable."

We typically do not say where a function variable might be used (a fortiori,
might be set/bound), anyway.