Re: Display of characters #xa0 and #xad in unibyte buffers

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Display of characters #xa0 and #xad in unibyte buffers
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:05:47 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > Actually, the interpretation of characters in a unnibyte
> > buffer is still inconsistent.  For instance,
> > skip-syntax-forward treats #x80..#xFF as characters
> > U+0080..U+00FF.  Thus #xC0 is a word-constituent and #xD7 is
> > a symbol.  We must fix it somehow.  But, how?  We currently
> > don't have a suitable syntax code for eight-bit chars.

> While I agree that treating bytes as if they were latin-1 chars isn't
> ideal, I don't think the alternative (treat every byte >=128 as
> punctuation, I guess) would really be much better.  So there's not much
> point "fixing" this "problem".

Perhaps we don't have to make much effort on this matter,
but if one is, for instance, in Greek lang. env. and working
in a unibyte buffer while setting
unibyte-display-via-language-environment to t, he sees that
(skip-syntax-forward "w") stops at #xD7 which is displayed
as "GREEK CAPITAL LETTER CHI (U+3A7)" and will think it's a
bug.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden